FAQ Costa Rica Trip
POC Comments for Before You Go
A few questions you might be thinking of or not thinking of but will be good to know to prepare you for your trip to avoid surprises.
You can use US Dollars in Most Places but Call Your CC Company
- Shops and restaurants will be fine with dollars in most places. But if you plan on paying with a Credit Card make sure you let your CC company know you will be traveling.
It is hard to predict Drive Times in Costa Rica
- The terrain, road-work, traffic, or a sloth crossing the road can cause delays.
Wildlife is Small but it can get LOUD!
- The Rainforest has more species than anywhere else because they have mastered the idea of not being seen by predators. Your guides will be able to find wildlife but it’s not all out in the open like the African Savana. But don’t let this fool you. The Rainforest can get loud with howler monkeys and many different species. A bit louder than suburban USA at night but it’s music to our ears!
Sunrise is 5:30 am and Sunset is 6 pm
- Costa Rica sits only 8 degrees above the equator so the sunrise and sunset is almost the same all year.
Insulation Doesn’t Exist in Costa Rica
- Most places are open-air; bugs are worse in Florida if you are wondering.
Tips are included in restaurants but tour guides are accustomed to being tipped
- This is confusing. Restaurants already have 10% included. You are welcome to leave another 5% or 10% if you like but locals just do the 10% already included. Tour guides working in the tourism industry do work for tips.
It can get Cooler than you Think at Night and in the Morning
- The fluctuation in temperature in the tropics is from day to night. Other than that the temperatures are similar all year round. While it doesn’t get cold it can be in the high 60’s in the evening or early morning.